From Interlock Rochester Wiki
This is an attempt to organize a history of Interlock. For new members or other hacker spaces this is where you can learn from our trials and our tribulations. It gives a reminder of where we have been and how much we have grown. IGadget
Regular open meetings every Tuesday at 7pm. Thursday nights are programming and make nights. Local python, Linux, info sec groups regularly use the space to meet. Website, wiki, google group, and flickr group are all on the website.
Founding - May 2009
As far as I know the 4 initial founding members were AntiTree, Beardicus, Adam and Ashley. In May of 2009 the ball was rolling enough that a hackerspaces.org entry was placed.
It would be nice if someone would pass me some details on the following: How you initially got together, Panera Bread Meetings, Meetup, deciding to create a hacker space, how may people there were when the need of a location was decided, and how fast the location was well located. That all happened before I arrived.
Temp Space October 2009
Two rooms - the front, about 300sq.ft. and rear 225sq.ft. This small closet of an area was located across the hall from where our first space taking shape. October 2009 we moved in. Building management was working on segmenting off our space to be, removing a bunch of junk and clearing out a pile of pipeage from the ceiling. We were clearing things off too.
Planning for what would be where in the new space was a regular discussion point at meetings. An Electrical Diagram was drawn up for the space and a group of people took it upon themselves to put together a well provisioned network. What is Hacker Space without a network? Boring, but more on that later. A member donated cable from a work upgrade so plenty was on hand. It was decided to hang too much rather than have to string wire later. A six drop box was installed at every 4 gang duplex outlet the kitchen had three drops. Overkill. Some quick install jacks were used which while cheap were touchy to install. With some confusion and much testing there was a working internal network when we officially opened the doors.
The move date slipped a few time because of delays on their end and scope changes on ours. During the following months the number of people in the group exploded. We discussed the types of meetings we would hold and how memberships would work. Safety issues and the or the lack of safety measures were discussed and a military issue personal field trauma kit was hung on the wall.
Our first Lightening Talks were scheduled in
First Space March 2010
At the beginning of March 2010 we finally moved into our first space. Its 1100 sq.ft. size was just about double the Temp Space and felt huge with possibilities. It was also clean and painted white the floor was painted grey, it was bright, very bright. Right away we started changing things. Beardicus put in place the Keyless door system and it was operational 4-6-2010. Plans were discussed to attach it to the yet un-built LDAP server.
The brightness was addressed by taking out half the florescent tubes and a mostly four person crew of Adam, Ashly, Nick and Steve started painting pipes all different colors. One night after some drinking a couch was painted as well.
This led to some chaos and stubbed toes and a surprise mannequin placed just inside the door in such a way to scare some life into the next person to open the space. Later to become Mannequin Ceiling-Hanger.
Network provider - aka The Trouble with Tribbles Choosing a network provider turned out to be harder than we thought. TWTC wanted an arm, a leg, and the first born child. That wouldn't work on our fledgling Non Profit budget. Frontier, the LEC, was willing to work on the price point for a three year contract. We had two POTS lines and a DSL carrier on the secondary line. The first DSL Bridge bit the dust because it wasn't attached to the DeMARC well, A random person moving stuff bumped into it knocking it off.
Later to get us the speed they promised they ended up adding a second DSL line in on a third circuit (blind or naked DSL). A special two circuit bridge was installed which no one at their support knew existed or how to troubleshoot. Only 2 field techs in the area knew how it worked. You don't want to be a guinea pig for your internet provider unless they give you a tech support number for the people running the tests. It kept mysteriously failing. Internet service would still be there, both DSL lights would be active, but only few percent of packets would go though.
After many months we were finally given a way to troubleshoot/test it when it was failing and to get it half operational. The problem turned out to be that the unit didn't handle it well when one of the circuits became noisy, but didn't fail completely. The phone board was rewired so that anyone with a pair of pliers could hard fail either circuit to restore partial functionality to internet access. Neither circuit would remain clean for more than a few weeks. This wasn't working out and we were beginning to look at expanding. The search was opened up for a new space and a new internet provider.